The Phoenixville Public Library currently seeks one (1) Trustee to be seated on its Board of Trustees beginning Feb/March 2020. As a Trustee, the successful applicants will be responsible for oversight of the library, serving on a board of nine (9). This position fulfills the remainder of a three (3) year term that ends June 30, 2021. As Trustees, the applicant is expected to act in the best interest of the Phoenixville Public Library, in promotion of and in furtherance of the Library’s Mission, which is to provide access to information and services that address the educational, cultural, and recreational needs of the community the library serves. The applicant is expected to familiarize themselves with the bylaws, policies, and operations of the library. Prior non-profit experience, particularly with regard to finance/accounting is preferred, but not required. Further information about the Phoenixville Public Library can be found on its website at www.phoenixvillelibrary.org.
Advocacy and Personal Involvement
* Board members are expected to be zealous advocates on our behalf, to be enthusiastic communicators of our mission and vision, and to play an integral role in our leadership.
* Board Meeting Attendance –Monthly meeting attendance of approximately 2.5 hours.
* Committee Participation – Actively participate on one or more committees.
* Recruitment – Identify strong candidates for committee work, community advocacy, or fund-raising whom will represent Phoenixville Public Library.
* Participation and attendance at all major fundraising events, currently one (1) per year. (This includes purchasing tickets for all major events, possible donation of goods or services for the event.)
* Annual Support – Make a personal annual gift at an appropriate level outside of major event attendance.
Applications are due on or before Feb 3, 2020. Invited applicants will be expected to interview jointly with the Board of Library Trustees and Board of School Directors of the Phoenixville Area School District that date will be announced no later than January 27, 2020. Appointments to the Library Board shall be made by the Board of School Directors thereafter. Applications should be sent to both of the following:
Dr. Alan Fegley, PASD Superintendent
386 City Line Avenue
Phoenixville, PA 19460
Lara Lorenzi, Executive Director
Phoenixville Public Library
183 2nd Avenue
Phoenixville, PA 19460
Applications should include a letter addressed to Ms. Lorenzi and Dr. Fegley explaining why the applicant wishes to be a Library Trustee and summarizing the applicant’s qualifications and experience. Resumes and references are required.
Phoenixville Public Library Board of Trustees- Job Description
Position Title: Member of the Board of Trustees
Length of Term: Three years
Reports To: Entire Board of Trustees
The board of trustees is legally and ethically responsible for all activities of the organization. More specifically it:
1. Determines how the organization will carry out its mission through long and short-range planning
2. Adopts an annual budget and provides fiscal oversight
3. Recruits, orients, and develops board members
4. Hires and evaluates the performance of the executive director
5. Evaluates its performance and overall performance of the organization in achieving the mission
6. Establishes policies for the effective management of the organization
* Understand and promote the organization’s mission
* Be familiar with the organization’s programs, policies, and operations
* Attend board meetings and appropriate committee meetings
* Actively serve on at least one committee and offer to take on special assignments
* Review agenda and supporting documents prior to meetings
* Make an annual contribution to the organization commensurate with ability
* Participate in and attend/support fund raising activities and special events
* Strictly adhere to conflict of interest policies
* Strictly adhere to confidentiality policies
Time Demands (approximate):
* Attend and actively participate in at least 75% of board meetings (11 monthly board meetings, approximately 2 hours in length, on the 1st Monday of the month, except August)
* Attend and actively participate in committee meetings and related work
* Attend special events such as fundraisers and Friend raisers (currently 2 per year)
* Attend new board trustee orientation through CCLS (approx. 2-3 hours)
Financial and Resource Development Expectations:
* Make an annual gift at an appropriate level to the organization (in order to achieve 100% board giving)
* Attend or financially support all special events if you cannot attend
* Sell tickets to fundraising events or ask friends to register/attend events
* Recruit sponsors
* Identify and cultivate potential donors